Accessory Dwelling Units
Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance
In December 2020, the City of Jurupa Valley adopted a new Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Ordinance. This ordinance included updates to clarify the different types of ADUs permitted and to incentivize an increase in housing citywide. ADUs are an attached or detached residential dwelling unit that is 1,000 square feet in size or less that provides complete living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation, and is located on a lot with a proposed or existing single dwelling unit or multiple dwelling units.
The link below is the ADU summary sheet. The handout only summarizes the requirements for ADU, including Junior ADUs. For more information on ADUs, please contact the Planning Division at email@example.com
How Do I Apply?
- Your first step is to submit a complete ADU Land Use Entitlement application that includes the application’s supplemental material requirements, which can be found on page 4 of the application. A Land Use Entitlement application is only required if the ADU is larger than 800 square feet.
- A homeowner may draw their own plans or hire a design professional. All plans must be drawn to scale.
- Submit a completed ADU application online at Accela Citizen Access (ACA) by clicking here. You may also submit the application at the City’s Public Counter, 8930 Limonite Avenue.
- After Planning approves your application, you are ready to submit for your building permit.
- Our Accessory Dwelling Unit Handout provides an overview of the Zoning Code Section 9.240.290 Standards, submittal requirements, and fee information related to ADUs, which can be found by clicking here. Please visit the Building Division’s web page for building permit information or contact the provided phone number or e-mail on the ADU handout.
How Much Does It Cost?
- The Planning application deposit fee of $1,400.
- Building Permit Fee Estimates can be found by e-mailing the Building Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting the public counter at 8930 Limonite Avenue.
- Development Impact Fees will be required for ADUs above 750 square feet. Please contact the Community Development Department for further information at email@example.com or visit the public counter at 8930 Limonite Avenue.
Questions for the Building Division can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Types of ADUs
- Detached ADU: An ADU that is constructed as a separate structure from the primary dwelling, which does not share any walls with the primary dwelling. It may be in the form of a new construction or conversion of an existing detached structure.
- Attached ADU: An ADU that is constructed as a physical expansion (i.e., addition) of the primary dwelling and shares a common wall with the primary dwelling.
- Junior ADU: An ADU that is no more than 500 square feet in size and contained entirely within a single-family residence.