City of Jurupa Valley Redistricting Process
Every ten years, districts must be redrawn so that each district is substantially equal in population. This process, called redistricting, is important in ensuring that each city councilmember represents about the same number of constituents. In Jurupa Valley, the City Council is responsible for drawing council districts. Redistricting is done using the 2020 U.S. Census data.
For the City of Jurupa Valley, the redistricting process must be completed by April 17, 2022.
Why does redistricting matter to me?
Redistricting determines which neighborhoods and communities are grouped together into a district for purposes of electing a councilmember. The City Council will seek input in selecting the next district map for our City Council. You have an opportunity to share with the City Council how you think district boundaries should be drawn to best represent your community. You can contact the City Clerk at CityClerk@jurupavalley.org to find out more about how the process works.
What do the existing Council Districts look like?
You can find a map of the City’s current council districts here: Council District Map
What criteria will our City Council use when drawing district lines?
To the extent practicable, district lines will be adopted using the following criteria:
- Geographically contiguous districts (each city council district should share a common border with the next).
- The geographic integrity of local neighborhoods or communities shall be respected in a manner that minimizes its division.
- Geographic integrity of a city shall be respected in a manner that minimizes its division.
- Easily identifiable boundaries that follow natural or artificial barriers (rivers, streets, highways, rail lines, etc.), and
- Lines shall be drawn to encourage geographic compactness. In addition, boundaries shall not be drawn for purposes of favoring or discriminating against a political party.
How will our City Council notify the public about redistricting?
The City Council will reach out to the local community to publicize the redistricting process. Our public hearings will be provided in applicable languages if residents submit a request in advance.
The City Clerk will notify the public about redistricting hearings, post maps online before adoption, and create a dedicated web page for all relevant information about the redistricting process.
Schedule for City Council public hearings/workshop:
October 21, 2021
December 2, 2021
January 6, 2022 (workshop)
February 17, 2022
March 17, 2022
How can I get involved?
The City Council will be holding hearings to receive public input on where district lines should be drawn. You can also submit public comments, including suggested draft maps, by emailing: CityClerk@jurupavalley.org