Healthy Jurupa Valley
Healthy Jurupa Valley (HJV) is part of a national Healthy Cities movement to improve the health and quality of life of all our residents. Healthy Jurupa Valley was formally established in December of 2012 with an inaugural leadership meeting, followed in April of 2013 by the Healthy Jurupa Valley Extravaganza Health Fair kick-off, which was enjoyed by over 2,000 residents.
Healthy Jurupa Valley is a collaborative effort of the City of Jurupa Valley and HJV backbone agency Reach Out. Our work is accomplished through five Action Teams. Each Action Team is co-chaired by wonderful volunteer leaders from our community, and is focused on goals set by community members, for community members.
These powerful Action Teams are:
- Arts and Recreation
- Community Prosperity
- Community Safety and Readiness
- Gardens and Markets
- Jurupa Valley Family Resource Network
All residents, businesses and agencies are invited to join in the action teams! You are needed!
When: The first Tuesday of every month at 9 a.m.
The Healthy Jurupa Valley Community Meeting features a community spotlight on a hidden treasure of our city, guest speakers on a wide array of health topics, and time for our Action Teams to report on their activities to the larger group.
The Community Meetings are open to all, including children and youth. It’s a chance for good old fashioned neighbor-to-neighbor sharing and learning!
The Walk - Rubidoux
In an effort to revitalize an important part of the city utilizing placemaking techniques, local partner agencies, city officials and small business owners have gathered together to work on their vision of “The Walk – Rubidoux.” Using a high-impact method that addresses health concerns across the spectrum, from active transportation to the economic health of small businesses, work continues on The Walk – Rubidoux. All 5 Action Teams work together on different but aligned projects.
Some of the highlights of work done so far include:
• Creation of an Edible Path to School along Mission Boulevard. Local business owners adopted fruit trees in front of their businesses along the route walked by many students.
• Public art projects, including murals and a “Selfie Wall” of 4 murals created to act as fun backdrops for selfies.
• Support for local small business owners, which includes several innovative systems to support economic mobility, bringing city and county economic development, law enforcement, small business supports and training, a “Shop The Walk” Discount Card program, and business incentives to the Rubidoux businesses.
• Engaging Wayfinding signs were installed to highlight local historical sites and available resources
• Sidewalk stickers were installed in a Positivity Campaign that featured positive messaging in both English and Spanish
• Local schools along The Walk are being engaged through walk audits by parents and school staff that help identify and address safety concerns for families who walk to school. City staff are also researching infrastructure changes that will encourage safe active transportation.
In time, it is hoped The Walk - Rubidoux will become Jurupa Valley’s downtown area, a place of pride and a community center for engagement in an area that currently has none. Each project constitutes a step toward safer roadways for pedestrians, endorsing a healthy lifestyle, greater economic mobility, and cultivating public safety opportunities that enhance the viability of this area as an active living hub.
For updates on the amazing projects and events happening on The Walk, follow us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/TheWalkRubidoux